HMV.com - Case Study
Written by Barry Briggs / Date: 13/04/2009
After joining Code Computerlove one of my first major clients was HMV.com. They were an existing client with an aggressive programme of optimisation and feature roll-out. I worked closely with HMV and associated third parties on several projects to improve the website experience, plus a larger project to design the interface for touch-screen kiosks, which HMV wanted to intended to introduce into their high street stores.
HMV was the UK and Ireland’s leading specialist retailer of Music, DVD/Video, Computer Games and Related Products. They were an easily recognisable high street presence in most towns and cities throughout the UK, and they also have stores in the Republic of Ireland, Hong Kong & Singapore.
The HMV.com website went live in 1997 and like all online retail websites had undergone a number of revisions and improvements, both large and small, since that time.
New features & ongoing optimisation
In my capacity as User Experience Architect at Code Computerlove I worked on several projects for HMV.com over a 12 month period, including:
- Complete redesign of primary navigation and structure of product content
- Introduce partner-product content to facilitate cross-sell and up-sell
- Define user journeys and Integrate main HMV.com site with loyalty/rewards-based Pure.HMV.com site.
- Add in-line Add-To-Basket confirmation
- Improve visibility of Account Management links within the site header
- Add Utility links to new page footer
These projects involved a large amount of research and definition and I produced a wide range of UX documentation to support my designs and recommendations in each case, including expert reviews, competitor analysis, process flows, user journeys, interaction design and interactive prototypes.
I will outlined one such project shortly. I'm currently updating all the other case studies on this new site at the same time, so please bear with me!